- To measure aggregate urban public transport provision in Melbourne from 2001-02 to 2016-17
- To explore if and how urban public transport provision has kept pace with population growth.
- Compilation of public transport vehicle kilometres (by mode) and urban population data for Melbourne by year
- Comparison of public transport vehicle kilometres per capita by year.
Public transport service provision per capita has been declining since 2011-12 in Melbourne.
- Total urban public transport service provision in Melbourne increased by 50% since 2001-02, although bus service provision recorded a decline in 2013-14
- Melbourne experienced a net increase in public transport service provision per capita between 2001-02 and 2016-17; however, this has been declining since 2011-12
- Monitoring public transport service levels per capita over time provides a useful way of determining whether public transport provision is keeping pace with population growth.
Currie, G. (2016) Melbourne Transport Problems & Progress – Ideas for Bold Politicians, presented to Academy of Technology, Science and Engineering (ATSE), Parliamentary Briefing, Melbourne, October 2016.